Monday, July 25, 2011

The End of an Era

Alright, I need to make sure that something is said. My name is Ashlee and I am a Harry Potteraholic. As soon as I read that first book, I fell victim to addiction. I have read all seven books multiple times and own all six and a half movies. I found ways to attend early showings of the movies. I have researched the Harry Potter theme park in Universal Studios Orlando on a bimonthly basis since it opened on June 17th, 2010 and made plans to attend the park this fall. I catch myself reading random chapters that are my favorite from certain books. I even had a fabulous dream a few weeks ago that I was Harry Potter….well, the female version whom I call Harriet Potter. I love the highly significant scar, I love how I can relate to specific characters, I love the intricate spells, I love Bellatrix Lestrange’s terrifying insanity, I love everything Harry Potter. So I must admit that when I received the miraculous news that I had been accepted to attend a study abroad in Ghana in July, there may have been a slight part of me that was disheartened due to the fact that I would be missing the final movie on July 15th. The finale of a series I obsess over. Of course, I would never let an obsession such as this keep me from bigger things like the chance to serve the people of Africa. As the date drew near, I felt a tinge of sadness that I would not be joining the millions of other fans in watching the series come to a close. Somehow, I found a way to come to terms with the fact and decided that I would fully enjoy the movie in August when I returned home. I received excellent news one night after a long day of teaching. Lynley informed our group that there was a movie theater in the Accra Mall where Harry Potter would be playing on July 21st. How could this be? How on earth could Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 be showing in a poverty stricken third world country only a week after it hit the states? I was in disbelief. I researched for myself and found that the information was correct. So the excitement reached an all-time high this past week and I quickly realized that although I was not the only HP fan in my group of amigos, I was most definitely the BIGGEST HP fan in the group. On Thursday, we went out to dinner at a fancy restaurant for Mindy’s birthday. We bought our tickets for the movie beforehand which resulted in increase in my heart rate. My dinner at the restaurant was decadent and the best I have had in weeks. Lynley decided to treat us to ice cream sundaes that must have had something illegal in them to make them so tasty. The problem lied in the fact that I was so excited to see Harry Potter that I don’t quite remember tasting my dinner or savoring my ice cream. When we sat in our seats in the theater and the lights dimmed, my pulse literally began to double and bound. I was THAT thrilled! After some minor speed bumps (17 seven minute long commercials for various Ghanaian companies), the movie started and I actually involuntarily screamed! I found myself laughing, smiling, and crying throughout the entire movie. Yep, I am a nerd. It was everything I could have hoped for. The end of my favorite adolescent mania = the end of an era. I couldn’t have been more happy after walking out of that theater. I had a grin that easily reached from ear to ear. I had no complaints and loved every minute. I did experience a bittersweet moment when I realized that Harry Potter is finished. I will continue to read the books, watch the movies, go to the theme park, and obsess but now there is nothing further to look forward to. I won’t be counting down the days until the next movie and watching the trailer on a daily basis. It may sound lame but I am very thankful that Accra offered me the opportunity to join along with the rest of the world in watching Harry Potter succeed one last time. Most importantly, it made me feel at home. I love Ghana but I will confess that it hasn’t been the easiest place to call home. I left the theater convinced that I was back in Utah about to walk out to my black Honda Civic and drive home to my family. It was indeed a strange feeling. Well, forgive me for my reminiscent post. The bottom line is that although I often find myself far away, I am always able to find small pieces of home. Even if it is only a movie theater. And an additional bottom line: Long live Harry Potter!


Moments before HP 7: Part 2 begins

Nope, still doesn't explain my excitement

No comments:

Post a Comment